Skip to main content

Canada!

So it's been a while since I've posted things here. I've been busy, what can I say? But now I'm here to fill your internets with things I've done in the last yearish. If I recall correctly, I already mentioned that I decided that Ft. Lewis college was a bit crap, so I didn't do very well and only went there for two semesters, followed by a year off school completely to work on the ski mountain and ski around a whole bunch. My year at Ft. Lewis only gave me four days of skiing or something silly like that, so of course I had to compensate by skiing 105 last winter, and all was well. Except that near the end of the season, maybe three weeks left in it, I fell while skiing down to work and broke my kneecap, which was entirely not my fault.
I was skiing down some groomed run to work, and my inside ski hit my outside ski and I fell down. Since I was on race skis, I was going pretty fast, so I started sliding down the trail quickly on my left side thinking, "well. This is embarrassing. I hope nobody saw that fall." As I was sliding, my left ski came off and as i slid over it, the binding smacked into my kneecap and broke it. This is the part of the story that sucks super hard because the dins on the bindings were at 13 and I was just sliding down the run on my side. The ski should not have come off. I guess that's what I get for putting my trust in Rossignol bindings right? They're terrible; don't ever buy them. EVER.
So after that, I was never able to walk correctly again, and I still can't to this day, but I can fake it well enough that nobody really notices. Either that or they just don't say anything to my face about it. The point is that Rossignol bindings are shit and I will never ski those skis again. On the plus side, walking is the only thing that I can't do correctly, so I can still ski and bike relatively effectively
After the season I spent at home in Steamboat Springs, CO, I decided that I wanted to go back to school, but I sure as shit wasn't going to be going to school in the states. The states are dumb. I mean, geographically, they're awesome, but they're full of stupid people and the whole place is run by morons with no concept of right or wrong. If people at your job fucked up as bad as they did, they'd be fired, but if you're in the government, then you get a goddamn raise. Grrrr.... So no state-side schooling for me. I decided instead that I would apply to a much better university called Quest University. It's in Squamish, BC, and is about 45k south of Whistler/Blackcomb, which was a huge draw for me. Another draw was the block schedule! I get to take one class at a time for 3.5 weeks each, and it's super intensive but super fun. Also the people here are good too.
So after I applied to Quest, I just rode my bike all summer, putting in some serious miles, but taking the year off racing and just having fun again, since that seemed to go missing from biking while I was at Ft. Lewis. But it's back now, so yay biking! I even attempted to put in 1000 miles in 7 days. It was hard, and I became quite tired.
But now I'm here in the great white north doing University things when I'm not skiing or biking or climbing or any of that stuff. Yes, there is a climbing wall here. No, I am not very good, but I'm trying my best dammit!
Squamish seems to be the outdoor sport capital of Canada, so of course I'm doing stuff outside. Aside from climbing, both indoor and out, I'm riding my bike. There's a video someplace of me crashing on some trail somewhere on the interblag. I'll put it up here sometime maybe, but the next day I crashed on a more technical trail and gave myself a concussion, which was super awesome.
Since I'm close to Whistler/Blackcomb too, I must ski it. Here's brief video about how that went:



Embed doesn't work very well, you might want to watch it at the youtubes. Also in that video are some shots from skiing in Steamboat last year. Yay skiing!
That's pretty much everything that has happened in the last eight or so months in a nutshell. Not super exciting, I know, but it will become exciting when we get some more snow and I can go powder skiing yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh!!!!
Also, in an unrelated side-note, I've begun watching My Little Pony. Say what you will about it, it's awesome. And so I've drawn some pictures as well that I currently cannot upload because they're in PDF format and blogger does not approve of said format. Maybe later I'll post them. Maybe.

lat5,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News and Tributes?

Hmmm .... Well this week was c-saps for our school. Unlike a number of other schools I know of where the seniors get the whole week off during this period, my school decided it would be better to force us to participate in "various team-building exercises." Yes, really. I can't make this shit up. However! I had a solution. The weekend before this waste of a noticeable amount of my life, I decided I would go down to Fruita , CO and ride some real trails on my bike. So I did.  The first day consisted of a 45 minute ride around the 18 Road area until it was too dark to see. Then the next day me and Cody rode around the Rabbit Valley area, and I got to rock it all on my single speed. Single speeding is probably the best thing ever. EVER! So that was Saturday because I had done my other ride on Friday night when I drove down. Later Saturday night, we went on a night ride up in the 18 Road area. We rode Zippity -Do- Da at night, and it is way more narrow than it is during th

Sweet Jesus

Well, it's May all of a sudden, and I'm almost out of high school forever! This is a very exciting occasion for me! After four torturous years of sitting around under mind-numbing fluorescent lights, I finally get to go out into the real world and do stuff!On that note, I'm going to college at Ft. Lewis College in Durango. Great, I know, and it's for their biking programme. Biking is so awesome. Everyone who's anyone rides a bike, clearly.  In other slightly more important but less photogenic news, about three weeks ago I sprained my ankle. Instead of doing something cool, I was walking down the stairs at my school when I stepped wrong. Clearly the stairs were poorly designed and I plan to sue the school for shoddy craftsmanship and using all the money they SHOULD use on correct stair construction for a turf field.  Now don't get me wrong, the turf Field is pretty cool! But living in Steamboat we get a lot of snow, and also living in Steamboat, we have a lot of

The Deets: Part 3; Sedro-Woolley, WA to Marblemount, WA (Day 3)

The morning of day 3 came just as the morning of day 2 had: the same feeling in my gut and the same reluctance to continue with the tour. One plus, though, was that it was a pleasantly sunny morning, and at least we wouldn't have to ride in the rain again. At least, not all day. I had left my wet clothing out to dry overnight, and I found that it was still somewhat wet that morning. For breakfast, Michelle and I feasted on some of the leftover pizza from the night before. Now, I have a thing about eating solid food in the morning. For some reason if I try to choke down any non-liquids within an hour or so of waking up, I almost always end up feeling nauseous. It's weird and annoying, and it makes it so that the only things I can put down in the mornings are 1) Instant Breakfast, 2) Smoothies, 3) Soylent, and 4) Greasy Diner Food. It's a weird problem. It tastes kinda like gritty cake mix. I struggled through a piece of pizza anyway, somehow managing to not vomit all