Skip to main content

Hmmm... Dusty

My it certainly has been a long time since I've been here to write things. Despite it being almost a year now, I am sad to say there isn't as much to report as you may have expected. This is largely due to my laziness and lack of commitment into describing any of the happenings in any great detail. However, you will get an overview of sorts here. Now. Right now.
First of all, there's college. I went there and was aggressively disappointed with it's similarities to high school. I'm pretty sure it's not a "College" thing so much as it is a "Ft. Lewis" thing, but I've grown tired of having my attendance in class being directly related to my grade. If I'm not mistaken, college is where I take control of my learning myself, and therefore my coming to class would be unnecessary if I already know the material. Such was the case in my Calculus 1 class, where I had already learned all the necessary maths in my AP Calculus class in high school. This was just a review course for me then, but I ended up only getting a C due to the fact that I hardly ever went to class. Sure, I aced all the tests with no problem, but since I decided that class was a waste of time and I would rather go ride my bike, my grade suffered.
Another good example would be a class I took called "Blues Jazz & Rock" (which will be referred to as BJR from this point on), which i passed with ease. This was partially due to previous knowledge of music history, but also because I went to class every day. Mostly it was because of the way the class was presented; it was interesting, and the teacher was very excited about the subject matter, which made me want to be excited about it as well. So that was fun.
Then second semester came along. This went catastrophically poorly on a scale I could have never predicted. I only had three classes, but i dropped one of them and more or less failed the other two, leaving me with a .55 GPA. Yes, that bad. Not because I'm stupid, but because, once again, I felt compelled to not go to class. However, this time around, I didn't have the same mastery over the material, so I failed. Hard. I didn't know that for a while, though, and had already registered for my next semester of classes when I got sent a letter telling me I was on Academic Suspension. Due to a loophole, I actually got to go to my first semester anyway because they had failed to inform me in a timely manner.
I did petition to get back in, though, and my petition succeeded, so now I'm allowed back at school even though I logically shouldn't be. But I'm not going. Instead, I'm going to work at a ski area and make some money for the winter instead of going to high school for another
goddam year.
One thing I did learn in college was that people really like to get drunk. I mean REALLY like it. I'm personally not a fan myself, but almost everyone I knew was getting drunk at every opportunity. One of my roommates even went all the way to Boulder (from
Durango) in the hopes of getting drunk.
What I've found with getting drunk is as follows: I still make the same decisions (since I make poor decisions enough as it is), but the only difference is the success rate. For example, I was at one party and I got pretty drunk. I decided to jump over the fire we had going, which, as everyone knows, is a poor choice. Now, had I been sober, I would have made the same decision, but I would have succeeded and it would have been no big deal. Unfortunately, I was not sober, and I failed. Hard. Again. I couldn't really see where the ground was, so i landed weird and rolled my ankle and was on crutches for the following month, which was pretty gay. Yes, it had a sexual preference.
Another thing I learned was that brownies can be surprisingly potent if made correctly, and never have more than one if you don't know how potent they are. I had three, and I lost my tiny mind. Long story short, I was high for three days, and then sick for a month, and I have no desire to ever do any of that ever again as long as I live.
Also, at some point in the winter, I think it was over Christmas break, I got a new computer. But it is currently shitting on itself, so I'm stuck on my laptop for the time being. Also over that break, I went to a high-performance driving school in Arizona and learned how to actually drive well. I think that if you're alive, you should be required to do a school of this sort before you're allowed on the roads anywhere ever, no excuses.
I also met a girl named Sonia who is really pretty and I like her a lot and she's a climber. But she has a "boyfriend" so BOO.
And that's pretty much college! After there was college, I came back home to Steamboat. It was weird for a while, though, because all my friends were either still at college (Ft. Lewis gets out really early), or still in high school. Yes, I'm friends with high
schoolers, what of it? But then they got out of their respective schools and nobody calls me back, but I do have a history of being out biking all the time, so I can see why they might just ignore me. They probably thing I'll always be out biking, which is mostly true.
But then I went to Germany! It was truly the best thing ever. Just about everything we have over here, they have it over there and it's better. Everyone recycles over there, almost none of the food is processed, nothing contains High Fructose Corn Syrup (except Gatorade), and the use of space in the country is extremely efficient. In short, I'm going back as soon as possible, and never coming back here.
The trip to Germany was obviously for biking, since it's one of two things
i'm good at, the other being skiing. But the caliber of racing over there is just unreal. The speed of all the top riders is just ridiculous, and the reason they're so fast is because people in Europe care about cycling, and Americans are too lazy to get off the couch. In America, you would never see 500+ people come out to watch a mountain bike race anywhere ever. Why? I'm really not sure. The couch issue, sure, but there's beer at the races, so come on people!
Unfortunately I was only there for 10 or so days, so I didn't get to really visit anywhere except the place we were staying, but that was still extremely cool. Everyone should go to Germany to see how a country SHOULD be run. Very very effectively.
So now I'm back in the states, with our processed foods and high fructose corn syrup, and I'm sad. The food isn't as good unless you really look, and the stuff that is good is much more expensive than it is over there.
Oh yeah, and my house flooded and the entire downstairs is currently being rebuilt from the ground up. It's annoying and slow, but it has to be done, i suppose.
Well that's all that's mattered over the past year or so. Next time I update here, maybe I'll have better stories, more details, or even pictures. But for now you're going to have to live with just text because my pictures are all on my other computer. The one that's shitting all over itself. Boring, I know. Not my fault.



Popular posts from this blog

The Deets: Part 7: Ellensburg, WA to Toppenish, WA (Day 9)

The next morning, Michelle and I spent almost all of our free time examining the map and trying to find a way south that didn't involve riding on the freeway. Our map wasn't very good, though, and so we eventually put our trust in Google and went to breakfast. It was a pretty tasty breakfast, mostly pastries and chocolate, and after that we fueled up at the Safeway or City Market or whatever before taking off down the road towards Oregon. The ride out of town was mild and easy, and the weather was sunny but not yet hot. The streets were effectively empty as well, and so the spin to the edge of Ellensburg and off into the wilds of Eastern Washington was a fairly easy one.

One thing our map did have was an alt-route of sorts for highway 97: it was a twisty little piece of tarmac that wound its way through a canyon along a river. Everything we had learned about touring told us that that would be the best way to go, not only because it wasn't a freeway, but because it was an t…

The Deets: Part 3; Sedro-Woolley, WA to Marblemount, WA (Day 3)

The morning of day 3 came just as the morning of day 2 had: the same feeling in my gut and the same reluctance to continue with the tour. One plus, though, was that it was a pleasantly sunny morning, and at least we wouldn't have to ride in the rain again. At least, not all day. I had left my wet clothing out to dry overnight, and I found that it was still somewhat wet that morning. For breakfast, Michelle and I feasted on some of the leftover pizza from the night before.

Now, I have a thing about eating solid food in the morning. For some reason if I try to choke down any non-liquids within an hour or so of waking up, I almost always end up feeling nauseous. It's weird and annoying, and it makes it so that the only things I can put down in the mornings are 1) Instant Breakfast, 2) Smoothies, 3) Soylent, and 4) Greasy Diner Food. It's a weird problem.
I struggled through a piece of pizza anyway, somehow managing to not vomit all over the place, and Michelle and I examined …

The Deets: Part 2; Mission, BC to Sedro-Woolley, WA (Day 2)

The morning of day two came earlier than I hoped, and Michelle and I were greeted by a grey, drizzling rain which set the theme for the whole day. Again, I had the "I really don't want to do this" feeling, although somewhat less potent than the morning before, and since I had even fewer options for postponement than I had had on day 1, we slowly suited up to the white noise of the TV and left the room for the continental breakfast downstairs.

Breakfast was in the room adjacent to the lobby, as per usual, but the room was not attached from the inside. This forced us outside into the drizzle to take almost 10 whole steps in my extremely inconvenient road bike shoes to get to food, and gave us a quick taste of the weather for the day. While we sat inside eating mediocre omelettes and drinking watery orange juice, we could watch the weather from the comfort and warmth of the indoors. At least, temporarily. The more we watched the weather, the harder it seemed to rain. Still,…