Skip to main content

News and Tributes?

Hmmm.... Well this week was c-saps for our school. Unlike a number of other schools I know of where the seniors get the whole week off during this period, my school decided it would be better to force us to participate in "various team-building exercises." Yes, really. I can't make this shit up.
However! I had a solution. The weekend before this waste of a noticeable amount of my life, I decided I would go down to Fruita, CO and ride some real trails on my bike. So I did. 
The first day consisted of a 45 minute ride around the 18 Road area until it was too dark to see. Then the next day me and Cody rode around the Rabbit Valley area, and I got to rock it all on my single speed. Single speeding is probably the best thing ever. EVER! So that was Saturday because I had done my other ride on Friday night when I drove down.
Later Saturday night, we went on a night ride up in the 18 Road area. We rode Zippity-Do-Da at night, and it is way more narrow than it is during the day. It may have been the most terrifying thing I've ever done on my bike. Also, there were of scorpions.
The next day, we went out to the Loma exit area to ride another trail called Moore Fun. It's really technical. All the time. And then it ends, and not all of it is ridable. Well maybe it is, but it's difficult. That's not to say it isn't fun though. It definitely is "Moore fun." That was a pun. And that was a rhyme. Then we rode Steve's Loop or Steve's Cutoff or whatever that one's called. Then we were just cruisin' back on Mary's Loop, and I was running low on water, but we decided to go do Horsethief Bench Loop anyway, which was awesome. There was this one couple on the trail that looked angry. The guy could ride everything, but the girl couldn't, and neither of them were being very personable when I tried to say hi while riding by. I can't really see that lasting too terribly long... At the end of the day, we went to the Lunch Loops and rode around there for a bit until it was so windy it was like riding on a sail instead of a bike, and then we got rained on.
The next day was a Monday, when I should've been in school, but fuck that. So we headed back out to 18 Road and rode a number of trails there. My legs were more or less toast, so I was whiny all day. That may have also been because I left my glasses in the hotel and couldn't see very well most of the day. Actually, all of the day. I was sad. That night, Bryce rolled into town and we had dinner with him and his family and my family and Cody's family.
On my last day, us three kids went over to the Lunch Loops again to ride The Ribbon, which is an absolutely fabulous trail. After wandering around on some granite for a good 20 minutes, we were more or less rolling up until the point where I decided that I was going to ride an obviously closed hiking trail instead of the normal route. 
Then we got lost for about 2 freakin hours because no one wanted to backtrack and we couldn't find the trail, so we were just wandering aimlessly around some slick rock stuff looking for anything that looked like a trail, and eventually we found a Karin. One of those little rock stack trail marker things. But we only found one, and there wasn't any trail near it. It was just hangin' there. Doing nothing. Just.... Being there and being rocks. 
So we just kinda passed that and meandered through the desert until we finally found another hiking trail that just happened to be inside the Colorado National Monument, where you're not allowed to ride your bike. Well, we didn't have a whole hell of a lot of choices, so we rode out. The guard lady at the kiosk thing was pretty suspicious since we didn't have park passes, so I told her we got lost. Then we were home free! That was basically the whole riding weekend, which consisted of about 15 hours of riding in a little over four days. Also during that time, I took some pictures of trees and such. No pictures of riding, sorry. I'm too lazy. Someday I probably will.
Anyway, here's they is!


He's headed for the edge!




Riiiiight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deets: Part 3; Sedro-Woolley, WA to Marblemount, WA (Day 3)

The morning of day 3 came just as the morning of day 2 had: the same feeling in my gut and the same reluctance to continue with the tour. One plus, though, was that it was a pleasantly sunny morning, and at least we wouldn't have to ride in the rain again. At least, not all day. I had left my wet clothing out to dry overnight, and I found that it was still somewhat wet that morning. For breakfast, Michelle and I feasted on some of the leftover pizza from the night before. Now, I have a thing about eating solid food in the morning. For some reason if I try to choke down any non-liquids within an hour or so of waking up, I almost always end up feeling nauseous. It's weird and annoying, and it makes it so that the only things I can put down in the mornings are 1) Instant Breakfast, 2) Smoothies, 3) Soylent, and 4) Greasy Diner Food. It's a weird problem. It tastes kinda like gritty cake mix. I struggled through a piece of pizza anyway, somehow managing to not vomit all

The Deets: Part 7: Ellensburg, WA to Toppenish, WA (Day 9)

The next morning, Michelle and I spent almost all of our free time examining the map and trying to find a way south that didn't involve riding on the freeway. Our map wasn't very good, though, and so we eventually put our trust in Google and went to breakfast. It was a pretty tasty breakfast, mostly pastries and chocolate, and after that we fueled up at the Safeway or City Market or whatever before taking off down the road towards Oregon. The ride out of town was mild and easy, and the weather was sunny but not yet hot. The streets were effectively empty as well, and so the spin to the edge of Ellensburg and off into the wilds of Eastern Washington was a fairly easy one. One thing our map did have was an alt-route of sorts for highway 97: it was a twisty little piece of tarmac that wound its way through a canyon along a river. Everything we had learned about touring told us that that would be the best way to go, not only because it wasn't a freeway, but because it was a

The Deets: Part 4; Marblemount, WA to Mazama, WA (Day 4)

For the first time since the start of our tour, I woke up excited. Our room was friggen frigid since we left the window open all night, but that didn't stop me from getting up with the alarm. Usually, when an alarm goes off, I do my best to get up as late as possible, often hitting the snooze button more than once. But this time was different. The previous night, while in front of the TV, we had looked online at some of the places in Marblemount that claimed to serve breakfast. There was a diner-type place that opened at 7, which was good for me and my inability to eat solid and non-diner food in the morning, and there was the drive-through coffee place which opened at the same time. This was good for Michelle and her coffee addiction. Since we had set the alarm for 7 or 7:30 (I can't remember which), both places would be open so we could fuel up for what would certainly be the hardest day of the tour up to that point. We put on enough clothes to be warm in the cool, shady